Getting Started With Stathead
Hello and welcome to Stathead! Your subscription will unlock the most powerful suite of sports research tools on the Internet.
We’ve created this guide to help introduce you to everything that Stathead is capable of. With a little practice, you’ll be able to navigate through hundreds of thousands of individual statlines, box scores, or plays.
Not sure where to start? This video will teach you the basics of how to use any Stathead tool to answer your questions about sports statistics or history.
Stathead tools are, for the most part, called “Finders”, because you can use them to find different kinds of stats. Some of these tools are available across multiple sports, while others are more specialized to accommodate the unique needs of a particular sport. Here’s a quick overview of the Finders and what they can do:
- Season Finder: Use this to look up single-season, multi-season, or career stats and records
- Game Finder: Use this to look up stats from a single game or a set of multiple games, whether in just one season or across multiple years
- Streak Finder: Use this to find streaks, or runs of consecutive games or seasons that match certain criteria
- Event/Play Finder: Use this to look up individual plays from our extensive play-by-play data
- Comparison Finder: See player statlines side-by-side, either for a single season or a range of years. This tool allows you to settle debates on which player is better or look for historic comps
- Draft Finder: In addition to games and seasons, our sites have extensive draft data. You can use the Draft Finder to dig through draft history by team, round, position, career stats, or more
- Split Finder: This baseball-only Finder allows you to research situational statlines, whether in a single season or across multiple years. For other sports besides baseball, you can use the Game Finder to find split stats.
- Goal Finder: This hockey-only tool allows you to dig through every single goal scored in the NHL since 1979-80. Filter by game situation, scorer, assister, goalie, and more
- Advanced Stats Finder In Hockey Stathead, we have special tools, similar to the Season Finder, for advanced stats like Corsi and Fenwick. For baseball, you can find advanced stats like WAR in the standard Season Finder
- Batter vs Pitcher: See every time a hitter and pitcher faced off using this tool. For example, you can use this to see what happened in each of the 8 times that Roger Clemens pitched to Barry Bonds
- Neutralized Stats Finder: This baseball-only tool allows you to adjust a player’s statline to different run environments, so you can compare players from the HR-heavy 1990s to the more pitching dominated 1960s
The easiest way to learn how to use Stathead is by practicing. The more you set up searches and experiment with what’s possible, the faster you’ll pick up the ins and outs of researching with Stathead. However, if you’ve never done this kind of research before, it can be hard to know where to start. So we’ve created a video series called Stathead Tutorials. These short videos will teach you everything you need to know to get the most out of your Stathead subscription.
There are new videos being uploaded all the time, so make sure to check back.
If after all this you’re still confused, don’t worry, we’re here to help! You can contact us a number of ways; we have a form set up for emails or you can use social media to reach out. Either way, no question is too small, we’re happy to work through any issues or problems that come up! Additionally, if there’s something that you would like to see us add to Stathead, we want to hear that as well! We’re always working to add new features and improve the tools that already exist.